- USA: Dial *67 before you dial the number. If you have Caller
ID blocked permanently, dial *82 to unblock for a given call.
- United Kingdom: Dial 141
- Dial "0" to reach the Operator, and have them place the call for you
- Dial the call using a pre-paid phone card, or dial from a pay phone
Permanently Block Caller ID:
- Dial your local telephone company and have them add Caller ID block to
your line. Note that phone companies are allowed to charge for this service
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires phone companies to make available
free caller ID blocking and unblocking. The rules do not apply to emergency
calls (state rules govern companies obligations to honor caller privacy requests
to emergency phone numbers).
block Caller ID number and/or name from being displayed on someone else's caller
identification device dial *67 before dialing the actual phone number;
- This option only applies to every single phone call; therefore, you
should dial *67 for every call you want your ID blocked.
Per-Call-Blocking is only in effect for the duration of one call, and
de-activates automatically after each use.
You can also block Caller ID for all calls made from a given telephone line.
Note, however, that your local telephone company may charge you a small fee for
enabling the service for your phone line.
- Contact your local phone company and request per-line blocking;
- Shall you need to un-block your number for a given call, you can unblock
your Caller ID for one call at a time by dialing *82 in front of the
actual phone number. Repeat this for every call you want your ID unblocked;
you should dial *82 for every
call you want your ID unblocked.
you make a toll free call, the recipient might be able to identify your number
using a system called Automatic Number Identification (ANI) despite your
blocking your number;
- Companies are not allowed to use or distribute your phone number;
- Companies are required to inform you that your phone number is transmitted
For more info on your Caller ID options contact your phone company.
Software to Block Calls on Caller ID
There are many software products on the market that can block certain calls
depending on their Caller ID information. We have information about around ten
such products, some of which are free. Click
here to see the